Google tag

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Yelling, lurking and reselling

This foggy weekend's focus was books and records. My 1958 Patchwork publication by Averil Colby arrived. 
 
And I found the follow-up book to Quilting for People Who Don't Have Time to Quilt. I am in that "still" category. Can't wait to get back my Gypsy Wife Meets Jelly Roll quilt currently in to the longarmer. I chose clamshell quilting in a dark brown thread. It is a pattern that I would NEVER attempt myself. I know I have a tendency to rush and sometimes I can't hold my arms completely still to do ruler work. I so prefer doing uncomplicated patchwork piecing or sewing together orphan blocks made by mystery quilters. 
Records included a few of Glen Campbell's and this Greatest Hits of Dave Brubeck. Dave is a jazz pianist who grew up in the city where I live now. When I found this, I may or may not have said loudly, "I found a Dave Brubeck!" 
With the Babylok in the shop and still recovering from my injury induced hexagon-cutting marathon, I have been sidelined from any progress in the quilting arena. 
My thrift shop lurking has paid off again with the purchase of this needlepoint kit for $3. This came from the same lot as the retro quilt blocks. This massive craft-related donation has been months in being released. Once priced, it doesn't move on the floor for another few weeks. This, I saw in the pre-pricing area and hoped I could get to it before anyone else. My first intent was to resell it, but decided it should join my project holder. 

January is an interesting month in thrift where nearly new clothes or even those still with their tags, land. There are also boxed gift items and, of course, discarded Christmas. 

Moving on to my reselling topic, what seems to still be selling is Christmas items. I am on holiday burnout right now after creating some countdown to Christmas posts, decorating, baking, all that stuff. A break is certainly in order. I have been buying like a maniac though thrifted Christmas CDs. Priced around a $1, I have an inventory of 50 to sell. 

I am a small potatoes store https://www.ebay.com/str/grammasonacid
I try to list 5 items a week, sometimes it is less and average a profit of $100 a month. Currently, I have 17 listings with an average price of $20. I recently sold a lion head door knocker I bought retail some 30 years ago. Don't need it, gotta sell it. My reselling is underwriting my thrift purchases. Admittedly, I am buying more with an eye for resell too. When I do buy for myself, I think, "these few dollars add up," and how hard it is to recapture on a resell. I end up putting back more than one item before I head to checkout.

Are you divesting or investing in more stuff? 

No comments:

Post a Comment