Google tag

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Cutting is done, layout has begun

I have settled on this palette of hexagons (6-1/2" on each side) for my colorwash quilt. 
I am not too sure about my first layout. This is as close to design wall as I get, the design mattress. As in any process, I am even questioning if I am going the right direction. Maybe light alternating with a dark hexis. I could rearrange them in an interpretation of a grandmother's flower garden.  
I really love that midnight blue color, I may incorporate more of that in this plan. 

Over the years, I have been more discriminating in my thrifted fabric purchases. Some of it isn't quilting quality, some aren't pretty prints, and some I have just lost interest, such as chintz and batiks.

As I use up my thrifted remnant stash, my focus will turn to buying fabric in collections. At first I skoffed at the prospect, but when I bought my first full collection of fabric, I was delighted. I have also learned that popular collections can sell out. 

Linking up with Jennifer at inquiringquilter for:


And Kelly at myquiltinfatuation for Needle & Thread Thursday. 

Ending this post with a Pattern of the Day, a 1969 Skater's outfit.

5 comments:

  1. What you might find with collections is the from year to year the designers groups work well together so you can buy one designer's groups for several years and really get a full range of values from light to dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my hexie quilt to be super scrappy.....it will be beautiful still, but wish I had done some sort of pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps a layout with the darkest color forming a stripe down the center with lighter shades on both sides. Frustrating how quickly fabrics sell out. I'm one to purchase just what I need to complete a quilt because I don't have a lot of storage space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely hexis! How big are they? I've discovered there are quite a few ways to put these together... check out ig #hexiquilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really pretty! I'm not sure how I'd arrange them, but I like the idea of random lights and darks did across the quilt. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete