Google tag

Thursday, January 2, 2020

5 year retrospective

Re-upping for my second year with the American Patchwork & Quilting UFO challenge. Each month a number is drawn and participants are to work on that project. No. 2 on my list is my daughter's atomic starburst quilt. Templates are printed, fabric has been purchased, just awaiting the return of my Babylok from servicing. 

One quilting blogger suggested a decade in review for quilt projects. I began quilting in May of 2015 so mine will be a 5 year retrospective of certain highlighted projects. 

It all began with processing shirts from a Hawaiian shirt hoarder. Admittedly, I threw away my first attempt because it was so wonky. You can see where I go wrong in the bottom right hand corner (and I didn't even photograph the worst of it).
 
A couple of months later in that year, the mom quilt came together. She still loves it and it adorns her condo couch. At that point, I was appliqueing over piecing mistakes. 
At year's end, I made a cubicle wall cover, still one of my favorites. I could have quilted it more but could always go back and do that.
My first real baby quilt was Hello Kitty using that fabric as the backing. Even though I missed a border and cornerstones at the bottom of the quilt, it's still cute. 
2016 meant a couple of smaller quilts. 

A Christmas flimsy that was never finished and eventually sold on eBay. 
 
This creation quite beautiful but a mess as far as stitching (don't look at the back!)
By the summer of 2017, I had finally finished my son's quilt. 
The fall of 2017, the George quilt was born and gifted to a friend.
I finally made a quilt for myself that still adorns my bed. 
Blessings and the Bloggers Quilt Festival 2017
I took a different direction for the Gypsy hanging curtain for our spare bathroom.  

Kitsch quilt is in frequent use by the Mr. in the living room.

2018 Seed Packet Quilt - gifted to my mom, now returned to me. 
The summer of 2018 I finished the Encounter, an abstract in fabric, raw edge applique. 
Fall of last year, I finally finished the composition quilt. A study in matchstick quilting with numerous thread colors. 
I've got two quilts in to the longarmer: OBW to the graduate and Gypsy Wife Meets Jelly Roll, so I can showcase those in February. I am finishing the quilting on two lap quilts I will also post in the near future, both remnant projects from 2019. 

Finally, if you haven't seen my post on the 2020 Buy No Fabric Challenge, here is the link.  Here also is a link to a writer's nothing-new-2020-im-embarking-year-secondhand-purchases article, basically buying no brand new things in 2020. Lofty goals, let's see how we do. 

1 comment:

  1. Great half-decade post! A lot of beautiful quilts, congratulations!
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete