Google tag

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

2020 Buy No Fabric Challenge


It is here, the first day of the New Year, New Decade and I am posting the 2020 Buy No Fabric Challenge - that means, retail, secondhand, remnants and yardage, exceptions being quilt tops and quilt blocks (those I resell).

What prompted this challenge? I thought I was doing all good in getting my fabric organized and under control, then this happened
Tub of Shame and Tower of Good Intentions
It is an entire tub of fabric remnants. If I recall, I started organizing floral prints for a watercolor quilt and then said something like "screw it" and threw it all in a tub. I am truly embarrassed. Seems I make progress in one area, then have a flaming downfall in another. I have been regularly listing items for sale on Ebay, yet continue to buy fabric secondhand. The worst part is that image doesn't even include my project bags, tub of plaid, tub of Christmas, jelly roll tub, AND a dresser full of yardage and orphan blocks. *sighs*
THIS has got to happen - no more fabric and use up what I have! While other quilters/sewists post images of beautiful rooms with color coordinated bolts of fabric, I simply cannot go there. The only exception I will make is completed quilt blocks and tops. Those I can resell or sew together quickly for a new quilt. 

Honor system, no one is checking now. I have left the linkup open until the end of this month. I will check back with my linkeruppers at year's end to see if they made it to Month 1 or Month 12. I am going to take it a month at a time, staying away from the "fabric" searches for online auctions!

I have already made progress by listing the following fabric-related and kit items:

Blue grandmother's garden quilt kit
Green applique partially completed quilt kit
Embroidered linen pieces and 22 nine patch blocks
Honeybee hive partially quilted, still in sandwich
I Spy Easter pieced panel
1999 Counted cross stitch - Bag Ladies
1973 Creative Crewel - 1 mini pheasant and 1 mini quails lot
1995 Needlepoint Country Trio

I kept 3 needlepoint and 1 crewel embroidery kits for the future. This year a must for completion of my magnolia needlepoint.

My deep destashing continues after I organize the fabric remnants, culling out the uglies and color coordinating the keepers. The retro blocks are all squared up and once my machine is back from the shop, I can get back to business!
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment