Google tag

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Grandmother's Flower Garden on Steroids

I have injured myself crafting. It wouldn't be the first time. My first sewing-related injury was a few years ago when I did damage when I impaled my left index finger on a moving needle. 

I was wondering why my right shoulder hurt. After plunging into my second weekend of hexagon making, the hurt hit. I was using my right side for all of that cutting. Time for another break, either "read" my eye candy quilt books or work on a needlepoint. 

I have joined yet another quilting FB group, this one being JWQ (Just Wanna Quilt) Inventory Quilt Sew Along. Since I have already started my stash-busting hexi quilt, I fit right in with the group. 

Work continues on that quilt. Luckily, I had purchased this dark blue batik yardage and cut more hexis. Layout #2 I have re-named Grandmother's Flower Garden on Steroids. The hexagons are 6-1/2" on each side. 


I haven't decided on the fabric used as spacers between the flowers or if I will even need them. Really love the flowers. I may make two more dark blue ones to use as the anchor pieces. My design bed isn't big enough!
Here is one of the blocks with my hand for scale. I have to wear a wrist brace when I use a rotary cutter. 

As an aside, I incorporated a golden yellow flower. I heard once in my quilting beginnings that you should try and use gold accents in your quilts. 


Going through my batiks I found an unopened kit! Yahoo!! That one will be listed for sale. I don't even remember buying this one so it must have been stashed away for awhile. 

And these redwork squares which were squirreled away on a shelf went into a project bag for moi with some favorite red fabric.
Last step, for now, is pinning the flower hexis together for eventual block construction. 

Reseller's update: My test of selling coffee mugs, plush and used games, specifically Cadoo - FAIL (so far). Successes have been vintage cookbooks and unopened needlecraft kits. 

Thrift finds were this J.K. Rowling hardcover ($35 retail, paid $2) and a red plaid woven tablecloth. I just can't resist linens. 

1 comment: