Google tag

Monday, June 18, 2012

30-day writing challenge ~ Day 18 (Setting Sail)

Setting Sail.  The 18th day of the WWFC writing challenge.

While I have not been in a sailboat in many, many years, each fishing season I do fish for lingcod, bottom fish and salmon off of California's north coast.  I also drive the fishing boat when Captain VZ needs a break (guess that makes me the First Mate).


So few people have actually been out on the ocean, either they are prone to seasickness or just fear it.  There is so much open space and you are bobbing around in a small craft in a very large body of water.

We love it when we catch lingcod.  They are also called seawolves - for good reason, look at his chompers!  


Setting sail or trolling in a fishing boat, no matter how you experience the lake or ocean, being on the water is a great experience.  We have seen whales, dolphins, killer whales, seals and jellyfish.  Once you've eaten fresh fish straight from the ocean, you will never order a fish entree from a restaurant, ever again.


Naples, Italy - September 1959.

Any sea dogs out there?  Give me a shout out!

Here is the link to the other bloggers participating in the WWFC 30-day writing challenge ~ http://www.weworkforcheese.com


5 comments:

  1. Tami, those are wonderful photos and it sounds like you really love this. I (on the other hand) am terrified of water and I hate boats. You make it look fun, but I know all that water would drown me and then all those toothy fish would eat me. I want you to be really careful out there. My husband was in the navy on a Carrier. He hates boats too. I don't even like to shower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to say the ocean can't be scary, the weather can turn on a dime. We do try to be careful and watch conditions carefully. It was a little swelly this past weekend, so we didn't even attempt it.

      As an aside, I enjoyed your post on this topic. My son is in the Navy and is heading for training on an ACU-1 (assault craft unit).

      Delete
  2. Really great photographs! Is that really you in the first picture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sea dog? Not here! But loved seeing your adventures on the high seas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fish too I fish too I fish too!!!!! GREAT post. I don't have a boat... we settle for piers and shore. Wish I could try the boat!

    ReplyDelete