Google tag

Monday, April 4, 2022

Crocheted squares, Curved Piecing, and the California State Fair

It is always a good day at thrift when I find crocheted squares. This group of green-trimmed, plus one pink outlier, are such a pretty group. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185369290157

Black, pink and grey ones are also listed. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185300082499

The Chinese Cookbook by Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee, a 1972 publication, was a recent Goodwill find. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185344620799

Moving on to the State Fair quilt. There has been a two-year hiatus of the crafts competition at the California State Fair. In 2020, I created a quilt to enter into the competition. I made a lot a mistakes in that quilt, but there is saying, "If you can't spot quilting mistakes while riding a galloping horse ..." or something along those lines. 




I was beyond disappointed there was no fair that year. In 2021, I tried and failed at moving forward on my creative vision for a project. Now, I have taken a run at it again, translating the image of The Knitting Woman from a publication to fiber art. I have come into possession of some truly fine thrifted fabrics, added with some from my stash. Here is the first fabric pull, along with the inspiration image. 


My first attempt at her cubist face. Not all attempts are good ones, and this was an epic fail. 

I am not going with my second attempt at her face. I had to get over the curved piecing bump, while not perfect, at least I am on my way. I have decided to take another run at it, one more attempt at her face. I will post my progress later in the month. 

Tarot Card of the Day. 

2 comments:

  1. What a fun idea to translate The Knitting Lady image into textile art, and working with a curved piece is great. Love the tarot image as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You so talented and have a great eye to find things for a good price. I shop for bargains when I need something and sometimes that item is not there.

    Happy a to Zing

    Discovery

    ReplyDelete