Google tag

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Mandatory Face Masks

Just as I suspected, our county issued a health advisory for wearing face masks. Using my pattern from Riley Blake Designs, I made a few for my family. 

I have been gathering batiks for some time and used all of my smaller remnant pieces in the State Fair quilt. I went through my 4 vintage sewing boxes and found some elastic, twill and velcro tapes. I know I had a ton of bias tape that came with those boxes but thrifted that tape back, now I wish I hadn't. 
I won't engage in sewist's shame. I know there are those that have dedicated countless hours to making masks for others. The one and only escape I have from our current crisis is the couple of hours I have to myself to sew. Committing that time to sew for others I know would be selfless but would be sacrificing my mental health.

The Mr. called me out on my trips to the post office. He said, "That's just a pastry run." Admittedly, it is, combined with package delivery. 

State Fair quilt is sandwiched and the entry is in for the judge's consideration! I marked quilting lines spaced 1" to 1-1/2" apart so when I get to teeny tiny matchstick quilting I won't go astray. This time I will have enough of one color thread. I was gifted 6 large cones of polyester thread from an upholsterer's estate. My last matchstick quilting project (my state fair entry intended for last year but completed too late composition quilt), ploughed through thread. While I like the composition, I had many machine problems with spacing for last year's intended entry. My current machine, the Franklin, grumbles A LOT but sets down an even stitch. 

This is my usual practice to have one project completely overtake another. I won't rest until State Fair quilt is done. My next project is to bind the OBW for the graduate but that I can work in tandem with any quilting project. Hand binding takes place in the TV-watching evenings. Gypsy Wife meets Jelly Roll is scheduled to arrive back from the longarmer today. Yipee!

No comments:

Post a Comment