Google tag

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Freebies Made My Day and Back to Baking

Talk about a shot in the arm, on one of my infrequent trips to the post office, I noticed a "Free" sign in front of one of the residences and large bags of clothing and linens. Nothing could have made me happier. I found a few items for myself, over half of the haul is consignment worthy, and a few pieces of boy clothing I can sell as a lot. I may list some of the women's clothing. A couple of pieces require some mending that means Clothing Rehabilitator to the Rescue! The little boy's shirt only needed a replacement button and reinforcement of the remainder. 
Cutest piece of boy's clothing
Muscle cars and Tikis print
Bags of clothing laundered and folded
I will take the majority of the clothes to Freestyle for exchange. Then, if they don't want them, I could list them. I know why the clothing was out for free like that, people are shut in and spring cleaning and they can't donate to thrift. 

Segueing to cooking, in particular baking. As a teen, I loved baking, making pies, cookies and other desserts. I continued to bake for my family, things like chocolate chip cookies and those delights. When I became an empty nester, I stopped baking. I had also packed on a few pounds so I didn't need the extra calories. Having returned to my "fighting weight" or no longer chubby, I can indulge in a few sweets now and again. 

I like to highlight the strawberry rhubarb pie I make in the warmer months and-then-there-was-rhubarb. Recently, I made a granny smith apple pie and banana bread.

This post is about Applesauce cookies. One key ingredient for this recipe is All Bran cereal. Not sure of the original owner, it has been a family recipe for many years. 
I do substitute Splenda for sugar and use unsweetened applesauce. 

Quilting update: Like many others, I organized my sewing studio. All of the fabric remnants are in some semblance of order and, fingers crossed, I hope I don't discover more batches of purchased fabric. 

I have two lists I am running for the American Patchwork & Quilting Challenge on FB, one for quilts and one for hand sewing projects. I average one quilt completion per month. As I move into more intricate piecing on some projects, my average will decrease. 

Still hoping for the opening of thrift/clothing consignment shops and the return of my hairstylist. Takes very little to keep me happy. 

Ending the post with Sally Stand-In wearing this adorable Sunny Leigh skirt, part of the Freebie Haul that joined my wardrobe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment