Google tag

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Texting - Day 7 topic of the 30M2D Writing Challenge

Texting - the 30M2D Challenge topic and link to the other texters.

I am a reluctant texter.  I have always preferred communicating by phone or in person.  Seemingly, most under 30 years of age, prefer to communicate by text and that includes my children.  You can call - no answer.  You can snail mail - no answer.  You can message through Facebook or Skype - no answer.  But send a text and the hallelujah gates open and there appears to magical entity you have tried to establish contact with [fill in the blank] number of days.

I think it sends the message - I'll get back to you, you aren't important enough for me to communicate with right now.  Kind of like selective listening - you know, that thing you do with your partner.  They are yammering on and on and you are kind of listening, ok, you aren't listening at all, until your partner demands your full attention.  NOW I'm listening.

Texting is fraught with unknown word dangers and missteps.  Damn You Autocorrect is texting gone wrong (the link is also to DYAC's best of), here are a couple of examples:

funny auto-correct texts - The 18 Best Autocorrects Of November 2012

funny auto-correct texts - The 18 Best Autocorrects Of November 2012


Oh, wait, I've got a text ... I think I'll ignore it.

13 comments:

  1. That autocorrect site is a hoot. But you make the point about under 30s communicating via text. They all have personal cell phones - ready-made texting devices. It's the fastest and easiest way for them to contact each other. Hell, I can hardly type...or see the screen without my glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I changed the font size on my phone.

      Delete
  2. I love those sites with the autocorrects, though I firmly believe some of them are made up. Still funny though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO Macho Pikachu. I'd missed that one. I'd still rather have a conversation than text but I guess that's not surprising really since I'm 34. Still, I like the convenience of leaving friends and family a text if it's something they can get back to me on at their convenience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is that - the convenience factor - I thought I'd go for "ornery" in my post. ;o)

      Delete
  4. I don't know about you, but Macho Pikachu was always my favourite Pokemon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's too funny. I don't think mine does auto correct. I can see where it could get you into trouble if you don't check behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The auto-correct feature is interesting at times to see how it substitutes words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SLAVES.... BWAH HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Tami, I have to send corrective texts far too often. I trust my typing far too much. You think I'd learn. But nah. Indigo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much more interesting to let the text fly uncorrected ...

      Delete
  9. Personally, I think there's a lot of value to text messaging so long as you do it in reasonable moderation. Auto correct is an endless supply of both laughs and annoyance.

    One thing that really bothers me about texting on the iPhone is that the auto correct function is presumptive to the point of being disruptive. I once tried to text the word "Oh" in reply to my friend's text message, and auto correct changed it to "Obama". Who programs the logic on this stuff?

    ReplyDelete