Google tag

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Top Five Vintage Cookbooks

Leading off with a salute to all of the veterans who served our country. Those veterans in my family are the Mr., my son and my father. 


Since I have been on the continual hunt for vintage cookbooks, I consider myself a self-proclaimed expert on the topic. I have numerous specialty cookbooks but these I would recommend as additions to any cook's kitchen.  

Cookbook No. 1 - Better Homes & Gardens Red Plaid New Cookbook, the earlier the publication, the better. I have a couple of the 2006 versions for sale, but they don't move like the earlier editions. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184233367427

Cookbook No. 2 - Craig Claiborne's 1961 The New York Times Cookbook. This book has been in my collection for over 40 years. I sold one recently. 

Cookbook No. 3 - Julia Child's 1961 Mastering the Art of French Cooking. When I found this publication, there were two versions, I kept the earlier 1960s one. 

Cookbook No. 4 - The All Purpose Cookbook Joy of Cooking by Rombauer and Becker, I have the 1975 edition. 

I just made the Pumpkin bread recipe from the Joy of Cooking, and it was fantastic!

And last but not least, Elizabeth David Classics, Mediterranean Food, French Country Cooking, Summer Cooking, 1980 edition. 

Honorable mentions of books I found this past year and are not vintage. 

1996 Disney's Family Cookbook. This one nearly went up for sale, but then I pulled it. I have so many fond memories of the Disney meals we had in Anaheim. As a child, I spent every summer at Disneyland. 

Another publication I pulled from the sale pile, was 2011 Guy Fieri Food, Cookin' It, Livin' It, Lovin' It. Lushly photographed and chock full of current recipes. 

Tackling a springform cheesecake with whole blueberries topping as my next baked delicacy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment