Google tag

Saturday, November 7, 2020

Vintage Cookbooks are Hot Sellers

As promised, I am reporting back on my bin-diving, thrift shopping, estate sale sourcing as of late. Vintage cookbooks are all the rage, some being snapped up within a day of listing. I have made back my original investment of $75 on the bin-diving event. There someone had divested themself of over 25 retro cookbooks. That same day I visited an estate sale and picked up 4 more cookbooks at 25 cents each. A hospice thrift visit provided a couple more books at $1 each. This 1977 Carla Emery original survivalist book sold for $45. A McCall's decorating book from the 1960s sold for $65. 

Still on track to reach my goal of $10,000 in ebay product listings by year's end. I list items in rounds with the last two rounds being sewing patterns and Christmas CDs. The next two rounds are needlework kits, and some Boy Scout lots. I have also signed up for ebay managed payments that cuts out the middleman Paypal. 

Because I am encouraged by my book sales, I pulled 25 quilt-related ones from my collection. There are certain types of quilt patterns that just don't appeal to me anymore - colorwash, stack n' wack, and applique, to name a few. 

I had hoped to be debt free by year's end but the laptop purchase (which will be paid off in December) along with the office setup expenses ($500), pushed my goal of being in the black into the New Year. 

This little Pokemon Christmas CD I listed for $150, thirty dollars below my competitors. I will report back if it sells at that price.  
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184524325799

The push is on for the Christmas rush. I have even started decorating the house and leave those decorations up well into January. 

Fun Find of the Day - this 1970s mix CD, not only is the cover image a hoot, the songs are right up my alley. 
Finally, cool enough weather to warm the house with the wood stove. Fall is more than welcome here after a summer of oppressive heat and smoke. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of surprised that the cookbooks sell so well with so many people just going to the internet for recipes and then setting their tablet on a stand to read a recipe. I like a book in my hand, that's my generation.

    ReplyDelete