Google tag

Saturday, June 20, 2020

And then there are the scammers

The majority of my buyers are decent, wonderful people and the transaction goes well, and then there are the scammers. They must lay awake at night thinking evil thoughts like the Grinch. 

More than once, a buyer has wanted to communicate outside of eBay wanting me to text or call them. I never do. Eventually, the sale goes unpaid and I have put it through the Resolution Center. The buyer wants to perform some action outside of eBay, pay for the item a different way, who knows. 

This latest one takes the cake - or meatloaf as it were. Buyer had a question about a vintage Betty Crocker cookbook, whether it  contained a certain recipe. I communicate to buyer that the recipe is in another later edition of that cookbook, which I also have for sale. I send an image of the recipe, stupidly sent the image of the ENTIRE recipe. I never heard from buyer again.  

One I had been holding off on posting, because she seemed like such a nice person. This scenario person claimed to be a long-time reader of my blog. She wanted to send me some sewing patterns that she couldn't use. We did not agree on any kind of price. I gave her my local post office address. Person emailed me that the cost of sending the patterns would be in excess of $35!?! Weird, sounds a bit much and I didn't know how many patterns she intended on sending me. Anyhoo, ended up the "box" was in her hometown in the destruction center. Odd. I had sent her some vintage linens (at her request) in exchange. 
 
Update to post - my reader did comment below so I will chalk it up to a misunderstanding in the hopes she will remain a follower of my blog. 

I find it a sad commentary on humanity. I don't want to cheat anyone out of anything, I just want to sell stuff that other people want. I make a few dollars, you get that item you need that I have found. We are both happy. 

1 comment:

  1. I have had scammers to, they use all kinds of excuses and then have the cheek to respond. It riles me to death. You would think it wouldn’t happen in japan but sadly it does. I would have just responded and said that the recipe was in the cookbook if she was interested and left it at that.
    Take care and keep safe

    ReplyDelete