Google tag

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Pieces of the Past Quilt

This quilt truly is comprised of tiny fabric pieces of the past. Both Wanda at exuberantcolor.blogspot.com (an esteemed online friend) and I place the border fabric as a late 1950s-1960s print. 

I bought the bag of remnants at a hospice thrift re-opening. I was in a few minutes past the opening time and headed straight for the craft section. I usually pass by the bagged small pieces of fabric but this group caught my eye. The smallest pieces of fabric I combined in crazy quilt fashion for the cornerstones. I saw this technique in a lot of fabric I purchased a few years ago. Mystery quilter had combined pink remnants, I included those pieces in more than one of my quilts. 
In the four patches, the fabric cut with pinking shears, originally measured 2.75" and I trimmed them down to 2.5" inches. Only one small remnant of each print, like a snapshot in time. Fabric is such a wonderful medium to work with because it rarely degrades over time if preserved correctly. By preserving correctly I mean these scraps have been squirreled away in some closet or drawer or basket for a long period of time. 

It occurred to me the construction of the cornerstone was a lot easier than the first time I attempted those accent pieces. Border fabric is sewn to the top of the block, then the cornerstone is sewn to the left side border. You repeat the process until all of the blocks are sewn together, then you add the final border and cornerstones to the far right side of the quilt. 

The following are images of each of the 4 patches and close-ups of the cornerstones. 






I haven't decided yet whether to keep this as a mini quilt or save it for main section of a bed-sized quilt. Update: I am going to quilt it as a mini. 

Linking up with wendysquiltsandmore.


Resellers update: eBay continues to offer 15K free listings to the end of July to store subscribers. After restocking my product, I am ready to tackle the next round that will put me over 400 listings. I also made the leap from Starter Store ($15 a mo.) to Basic Store ($22 a mo. billed at the yearly rate). That subscription also gives me access to Terapeak which compares solds on eBay. 

What has sold? Those Girl Scout and 4H items - sold and quickly. If you see either in thrift, along with Boy Scout stuff, buy it for resell. I won on bid a lot of G.S. items on an online auction I am awaiting arrival in the mail. 

Clothing/craft patterns are selling. CD and cassettes continue to sell. I have to throw away about half of the cassettes because the tape has aged and drags. At 6 for $1, it is worth my time. 

In my "death pile" to be listed, five craft books, 1 needlework kit, 10 cassettes (still testing them), 12 Christmas CDs and another 50 regular CDs. 

On the subject of patterns, this Pattern of the Day is a McCall's 2781 from 1971. Sometimes I find other items in the pattern packets and this one contained a handwritten note and a sketch of the dress. 


When I find sewing baskets at thrift, there have been pictures, notes, and assorted tchotchkes. It is a part of thrifting that enjoy, when I catch a glimmer of the previous owner. 

3 comments:

  1. I would certainly keep that as a mini quilt unless you had enough of the same era fabric to make it into a larger quilt. It is so precious just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. High Quality Fabrics

    ReplyDelete