Google tag

Monday, April 8, 2013

G is for Gold, gravy boat and garden toad - A to Z Writing Challenge topic


Gold is the ultimate treasure-hunter’s dream.  I can boast of one thrift shop find pin in recent years made of 14k gold.


And gravy boat - the story on this sweetie is I had a gravy boat, a fancy pure white one I bought at Macy's for $15 or $20.  When I bought it at retail price, I thought, "What am I doing?  I can find one of these at the thrift shop."


To a thrifter's eyes, the rubbed off decoration shows character, that it has been well used.  Worth the 50 cent price I paid for it.

Just HAD TO share garden toad. I think he is adorable. I was preparing the vegetable garden bed and there he was. I admit to moving him to the flower garden and staging him by the toadstool.  He seemed to tolerate his brief modeling stint. 


A to Z Challenge [2013]

Please vote for me as Best Local Sacramento Blogger.  Vote button is at the top of this post.  Thanks!


14 comments:

  1. You completely make my day - Your gravy boat - and the Thrift Store Truth - Yay You! - in other countries people would tell you the thrift store gravy boat has wabi sabi - and therefore has far more value . . I agree.

    And - the Brilliant fun of asking a toad to model - AND - the Toad, sensing your coolness level (which is over the moon wonderful) - complies - without even asking an agent to broker a deal.
    Thank you for brightening my day!
    Happy AtoZ!
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wabi sabi - I like that ... will be my newest phrase.

      Yes, Toad was quite happy to model for ze Von Zalez. *grins*

      Delete
  2. Hi Tami. Terrific theme you have here. I'm a gold addict ... just not so good finding it my myself ;) so I'm loving that and blue stone. I think it is a very good find. Wish you all the best in the challenge.

    Alternative Foodie
    from the nuttybean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to start the day. Love your humor and your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Those garden toads always scare me--usually because I am not expecting anything to move and they jump just as I reach down to the ground. :) Happy G Day!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Sandy from www.sandysanderellasmusings.blogspot.com

    I love thrift shops and when I lived in Palm Springs, they have the best there! I picked up a gold bracelet, that was about 3/4 of an inch too small for my arm, it was 1.00! The elderly lady behind the counter said "oh Sandy, what do you want with that old thing". I took it to a jewelry store, had it weighed, put it on eBay, and sold it for 330.00 to a man that collects 24k artifacts from Peru, which is where it was from. That, was a good day:) Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pin, and I love the toad. And the toadstool! :) Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey fellow a-z blogger. Love the pictures! I think I need to find myself a thrift shop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love thrift shops. You never know what you'll find, plus it's usually very inexpensive compared to buying new. Great to have pics with your posts.

    Visiting you from A to Z. You paid my blog a visit.

    Sunni

    http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a thrift shop junkie too! Not a fan of shopping in general really but find thrift shops fun...sort of like a game I suppose. I see what you mean about the toad and toadstool! I love that photo. Would love to have it as a desktop background!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Visiting from the A- Z challenge. Love your theme and will be back

    ReplyDelete
  11. All three of those things are fabulous! I'm a big fan of any kind of cute animal statue or sculpture.

    From A to Z, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete