Google tag

Thursday, April 18, 2013

P is for Pyrex and Poetry - A to Z Writing Challenge topic


I never thought much about Pyrex before I started blogging but then I discovered a subset of thrifters who wax poetic about Pyrex.  Yes, entire blogs devoted strictly to Pyrex.  Certain patterns are coveted as if it were the holy grail.  I have one wheat pattern bowl, I'm not sure where it ranks in the desirability of the Pyrex collecting set. Dare I say it?  To me, it is just a bowl.  Well, this starburst pattern IS pretty cool.


via Pyrex Collective.  She writes:

I got this starburst casserole dish recently and saw one just like it that ended up selling on Ebay for $120!  Can any of you tell me about it -- when it was made, if it was a promotional, what the pattern name is, etc?  Do any of you know why it would sell for so much?  I'm assuming it was bidder's frenzy and that two people just REALLY wanted it a lot!  Regardless of how much it's worth, it's not leaving my collection any time soon! 

Here is some pink Pyrex for sale on www.shopgoodwill.com.



On a different subject, April is National Poetry Month and in recognition of that I give you:
(Don't stop there - keep scrolling down for the last tidbit re photography  ...)

Why I Am Not a Painter

BY Frank O'hara
I am not a painter, I am a poet.
Why? I think I would rather be
a painter, but I am not.  Well,

for instance, Mike Goldberg
is starting a painting. I drop in.
"Sit down and have a drink" he
says. I drink; we drink. I look
up. "You have SARDINES in it."
"Yes, it needed something there."
"Oh." I go and the days go by
and I drop in again. The painting is
going on, and I go, and the days
go by. I drop in. The painting is
finished. "Where's SARDINES?"
All that's left is just 
letters, "It was too much," Mike says.

But me? One day I am thinking of
a color: orange. I write a line
about orange. Pretty soon it is a
whole page of words, not lines.
Then another page. There should be
so much more, not of orange, of
words, of how terrible orange is 
and life. Days go by. It is even in
prose, I am a real poet. My poem
is finished and I haven't mentioned
orange yet. It's twelve poems, I call
it ORANGES. And one day in a gallery
I see Mike's painting, called SARDINES.

Just had to add this ...



A to Z Challenge [2013]

4 comments:

  1. LOVED the last photos! I love Pyrex, but not the old stuff. I rarely use plastic for storage, so most of my food is stored in Pyrex!

    Happy P day!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that old Pyrex was so in demand. I'm sure my mother still has some in her kitchen and/or garage. I like the starburst pattern, too. Very retro!

    Off now to delete all bathroom photos off my phone :-)

    Jenny at Choice City Native

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem, the dropping by and going repetition was dreamy. I love my two pyrex dishes with lids, I wish I had more :)

    ReplyDelete