Google tag

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Blast from the Past - 1984 and the beginning of Orphan Blocks Meet Jelly Roll

It must have been a good year for the craft person who bought the kits from 1984. Thrift sent them through priced at 99 cents each, all 7 unopened. I am severely tempted to keep the dog/cat Christmas plate cross stitch.

Included with my needlekit purchases was this hexagon crocheted blanket. I dug through tubs and tubs of linens for this $2 secondhand find. I have two crocheted blankets up for sale to see if they are movers. I have kept this newest one and will put the other recent find up for sale. 

My latest project includes orphan blocks from mystery quilter I bought at an online auction. At first, I was really disappointed when I got the blocks but then I saw the quilter's colorway preference coming through. Now, I knew I needed to add a jelly roll so I could "float" the blocks for the top. I chose a Moda Laundry Basket for the roll. My first task will be to rehabilitate the star block. It needs fabric sides to finish it off. Next, I will square up all the blocks and make them uniform in size at 2" intervals. For example, that blue and white pinwheel block in the center? It needs to measure out at 2-1/2" or the next interval of 4-1/2" because the jelly roll is cut at 2-1/2". 

So let's assume the pinwheel already measures out at 2-1/2". I will cut a jelly roll strip and sew it to the top and then the bottom of the pinwheel. Adding other blocks at different steps, I continue to fill in the space between the blocks with the jelly roll strips. 
I first did this type of process with my Gypsy Wife Meets Jelly Roll, Part 1,  Part 2 and Part 3.

Reseller update - Listing goal made! All of my sewing patterns are listed. They are hands down my best sellers on ebay. There are the ones I pulled from my keeper tubs (5 at high count) and those I have picked up at thrift in the past few months. Next up for listing are the needlework kits, with the last to tackle a tubful of CDs. 

I popped in to Goodwill to buy one of their what I like to call "fabric cubes," for $5.49. A nice lot of fabric remnants and a good start to replenishing my stash of fabric wovens. 



 Well, off into the Wild for more sourcing~! I hope all is well in your world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment