Google tag

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Artists and Anarchy

I have nearly finished my modern art history class. While enjoyable, it was an 8 week class and I forgot how much WORK is involved in such a short course of study. The last few weeks have been a struggle with not receiving my textbook until week 5, starting a new job and dealing with a major family emergency. 

Back to my title. Artists can reflect the current mood of the general populace. While the rich might be tone deaf to the masses, artists can bring the message whether it is dissent or disagreement with the powers that be. 

One assignment in class was to prepare an Exhibition Proposal. I chose Women in Images and one in particular was from the artist Jean-François Millet. He depicted women in a field gleaning after a harvest. The Gleaners (1857) was met with disdain and disapproval from the upper classes. At the time, landowners were not granting gleaning rights, so Millet used a velvet hammer to make his social commentaryAt first glance, it appears to be such a restful scene, until you know the artist's intent behind it. That is just one of many examples but I will spare you from further art history. 

Now, the medium is online expression. While I could go off the rails with this blog, I have always kept it family friendly. As a joke, I chose the entity of grammasonacid for my ebay store and starting posting videos of toys for sale so I could link them to my ebay listings. Guess how many views my Disney push down toy has received so far? 

3,500 in one month. 

Yep, 3,500 views. WHAT are people watching? No one has bought the toy yet. It is not ASMR, maybe there is something else in the video that seems to be intriguing. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184410416238

Now, I've got Mumbles the Monkey and Gabi Giraffe on for the show. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184484654952
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184487964441

One of the best things of being a college returnee was getting Amazon Prime for next to nothing. I just put in an order for some badly-needed specialty pillows. Of the three needleworked pillow cases, I already had one pillow form that fit the poppies (it now resides in my home office). I bought 2 more pillow forms (on sale) that were promoted on Prime for the other two needlework pillow cases. 



Finishing with Fun Find of the Day this 1964 publication. Retro decorating eye candy. 
Orange office chair is to due arrive and I can't wait!! Now I am using one of the dining table chairs, while comfortable, it is hard to move around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment