Google tag

Monday, September 23, 2019

Gypsy Wife meets Jelly Roll

While I missed National Jelly Roll Day on September 21st of having a finished quilt, I had the germ of an idea for a quilt top. I had a couple of partial jelly rolls and completed quilt blocks in 12", 11", and 10".

This was the quilt that was beckoning me. I happened to have one extra day and I put my foot down and devoted the afternoon to sewing. This came together really fast. It is going to be a very pretty quilt. Mystery quilter should be proud of how I used her orphan blocks. 

In the Gypsy Wife quilt pattern, there are vertical strips of fabric, with the blocks offset from each other. 

My process on this was to sew together 6 strips from the jelly and then fit it to the 12" block. I made the 11" and 10" blocks 12". I really am rogue quilter and "wing it" when it comes to perfect measurements. I just take the strips and square them up after I sew them all together. As long as the blocks are squared up and the fabric squares up at the finish, I'm happy. 

I haven't checked my stash, but I may have to spring for some retail border fabric to complete this quilt top. 

Linking up with Kelly at www.myquiltinfatuation.com for:

Needle and Thread Thursday

Wendy at wendysquiltsandmore.blogspot.com for the~

4 comments:

  1. That's a great way to use up some jelly roll strips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it really need a border? I think I'd simply add more strips! I like your idea as a setting and next time I have donated blocks, I think I'll try this, too. Your philosophy about blocks is my philosophy. Everything goes together and is squared! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely way to go "rogue". Beautiful, whether it was done by Jelly Roll Day or not. Can't wait to see the finish! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete