Google tag

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Exceptional Estate Sale and Gypsy Tami Travels

While thrift shops have been my primary destination for sourcing, estate sales finds can result in big ticket items. A local estate sale provided a slew of books. I grabbed all of the sewing/quilting related ones and a few military related ones, buying the lot for $30. A waving Mao Tse Tung watch will nearly cover that cost alone. Another chachkie is the Chinese compass, listed online for $80, so mine will join that "rare" one. I suspect it is a tourist item from China.  


Just when I finished selling the last lot of Barbie clothes, I find a $5 bag of 4 of them at thrift. The doll second from the left has a button where she shrugs her shoulders and her hands are articulated. The doll on the far right possibly is a Midge. 

When I first started reselling, I pooh-poohed the idea of selling books. I was of the mind that people weren't reading books anymore because I had stopped, with the exception of textbooks, that activity. As those books started selling, I got better at spotting which ones to list. You bet I snabbed this 1977 publication Guide to the Soviet Navy from the estate sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184635435279

I went back for Day 2 of the estate sale and spent $20. Turns out the gentleman was Kit Bonner, Jr., naval historian and rare book collector. I now have some publications I need to take for valuation. Other amazing items included an English Leeds plate and a Chinese Empire hand painted vase. I have been Blessed by the Bonners. 😇 I have to admit I cried for awhile as I unloaded the books and looked closer at all of the items. My $50 investment will bring at least $500 or more my way. I need to do my own show! 

I am all hat and no cattle. Time to admit I am no longer a city girl but a country girl. My time in Sacramento came to an end a pandemic-ago. 

I splurged on the Harley Davidson western hat $19 at thrift. I love it! Also wearing thrifted Learsi fringe jacket, and Articles of Society ripped jeans with black leggings and not thrifted Ariat black cowboy boots. A photoshoot seemed a great way to celebrate my estate sale good fortune and show off the amazing hat. 

My latest dream? To have a Gypsy wagon and dress up each day of the fair or event and sell specialty items or certain foods. This not being around people business isn't good for any of us. Gypsy Tami Travels or Tami Takes You Gypsy Traveling? We'll see. It is fun to dream. 

The last of my finds was the book 1000 Places to See Before You Die. I am going to bookmark 50 I find intriguing as a goal in retirement. 

1 comment:

  1. I always thought those jackets with the fringed sleeves were the neatest thing. I never had one and would probably feel silly wearing one now at 80 years old.

    ReplyDelete