Google tag

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Novelty Fabric Quilt


The best image of the top included my feet, with the back patio being the only shaded area. 

Sometimes you've got to take more than one run at a project. My first attempt included decidedly orange fabric. Marrying remnants  is hard enough, I had to break out the seam ripper.  

I also cut the fabric down to match the 8" blocks I had on hand. My favorites of the remnants included in this quilt are the Fifties-themed dancers, the blue/green atomic and the martini glasses. 

I am delighted to have found a longarmer whose services I can afford. This one I sent to her. I held out for quite awhile trying to quilt all of my own creations. That only frustrated me because I couldn't do the fancy designs I really wanted. It has freed me to concentrate on piecing.  I am trying to use my current stash. The only fabric I purchased retail for this one was the surfboard flannel in the backing.

I also made great progress on the OBW for the H.S. graduate. The VW Beetle novelty print was my go-to fabric to add length and width to the partially-completed quilt top (a steal at $1.50 thrift). I then had to hoof it down to another thrift shop where I had spotted a cat-themed fabric print for the backing. I didn't buy it when I first saw it because it is not my style but perfect for this cat-loving relative. I'm adding the denim print fabric as borders. 


If you are going to buy fabric, hide it adequately (see this post).
Hope you are having an enjoyable August. We are suffering through another spate of 100 degree weather. 

Linking up with Kelly at www.myquiltinfatuation.com for Needle and Thread Thursday and Wendy at wendysquiltsandmore.blogspot.com for the ~

3 comments:

  1. Great looking summery quilt. Love the colors! I'm not very good with quilting my own tops either, that's why I mostly do hand quilting. Hard to mess up that.:) Good that you found someone that you could afford though. I'm still working on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That top quilt looks very interesting. I'd love a closer look at some of those prints. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete