Google tag

Friday, February 9, 2024

Cowboy Quilt update, and Quilting is the Perfect Craft for the Attention Deficit

I was surprised when my daughter requested a cowboy-themed quilt. I didn't place her as the country-western type. 
I had enough fabric on hand to complete the quilt top. A recent thrift shop purchase of a cowboy-themed jelly roll remnant for $6 completed the borders. Here are the inside photos, I will get the glamour shots once it returns from the quilter. 

Going through my fabric stash, I have discovered I have used up nearly all of my yardage remnants. The last fabric horde I was able to buy at thrift included a lot of small pieces, fat quarter and smaller. 

Onto my lead title - Quilting is the Perfect Craft for the Attention Deficit. Let me explain. There is a word in quilting - "Squirrel." Squirrel means your attention has been diverted from one project to another, to another, to another. 

Try as I might, I cannot adhere to a schedule of completing my quilt projects. The beauty of the craft is that you DON'T have to do things in a certain order. Also, life events come up like the birth of a baby, or other celebratory milestones. 

My big news is my daughter is engaged and is having a REAL wedding. 💒 Not just a go-to-Vegas and maybe have a witness, we are talking with a maid of honor and bridesmaids. So exciting! 

But I digress - back to the quilting talk. I have a list of projects. Have I completed any of them on the list? Lawd NO. I have squirrel projected these last two quilts. To tie up the idea of my daughter's upcoming wedding, I have the idea of making cat or dog themed lap quilts to give as gifts for the bridesmaids. This will be as a thank-you for acting as the same, in addition to whatever gifts to the group as my daughter thinks appropriate. 

Here are some images of the fabric pulls. I discovered I have more dog fabric than cat fabric. I do know that the maid of honor is a "dog person." Hoping the other three bridesmaids are also, but I can spin together one cat quilt. 


I will most likely do 4 patches bordered in companion fabric. What do you think of my gift idea? 

No comments:

Post a Comment