Google tag

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Top 5 Things To Buy At Thrift Rather Than Retail

With the cost of goods going up, up, up, there are ways to save money by thrift shopping. 

1.    Glassware, including Pyrex

I have many sizes of glass casserole dishes, drinking glasses, clear Pyrex, all bought at thrift. I have a few pieces of the collectible Pyrex but rarely see the unique patterns. 

There are types of stemware, wine glasses, and shot glasses. Beer mugs (great kept frozen to drink with milk). I even include vases, tons of those come through thrift each year. 
I use clear glass custard cups for small/diced ingredients. 

2.    Ceramic mugs and plates

I have replaced our Sango Splash tableware pattern a few times by buying them secondhand. I routinely break ceramic coffee mugs. That means I routinely replace them with ones I find at thrift. Currently, I have a heavier white mug with the name "Nana" framed by wild roses. I am not Nana but I have her mug. 

3.    Media - DVDs, CDs, Books

Find your favorite movies, or something you haven't seen, for as little as $1 each. Sometimes CDs are 4 for $1. I buy the CDs and first rip them to my laptop, then sell them on eBay. I include books, because I am a lifelong bibliophile. 

4.    Blankets and linens

Don't go all "ewww" on me! Easily laundered, I prefer to use Woolite. I have a black granny square crocheted blanket in the back of my Ford Escape for my dog to lay on. Tablecloths, table runners, placemats, you-name-it delights found in the linens section. 

This quilted creation was offered on shopgoodwill.com but bid up too high. I have kept the image so I can recreate it someday. 

5.    Clothing

You think this should land higher on my Top 5 list, and it probably should. The easier items to find are uber casual pants, think yoga, athleisure, and well-loved t-shirts. There are racks and racks of jeans (who wears those anymore)? Every once in awhile, something cute might come through the pipeline. I am buying more and more clothing online from the sale/clearance section. 

Until next time,
Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment