Google tag

Monday, December 14, 2020

Dark and Moody

It isn't all glitter and unicorns. Is it any wonder we try to light up our spaces during these dark winter hours? 


In the last week of November, I started wrapping my ebay sales packages in Christmas fabric. Some time ago, I had acquired a small tub of holiday fabric from a mystery quilter/sewist. I laundered it all up and trimmed up the remnants. Then I fell in love with this fabric collection of someone else's. Now, a creation of mine. It seemed appropriate to have one for this year. I had been collecting Christmas fabric for 5 years. 
I have made a variation of this pattern more than once. I began with 4 patches alternating dark and light fabric (cut to 3-1/2") and then bordered and sashed them with scrappy cornerstones (cut to 2-1/2"). I had just enough of the dark print 2010 Mary Engelbreit fabric to border and sash the pieced center. While my patchwork piecing has improved, I still have parts that don't match. I am just not precise enough with my sewing. 

Post update on 12/23/2020: Quilt top finished! The border fabrics were purchased retail on sale. The light border fabric is actually a gold snowflake print with a grey plaid background.
I still have a tub full of sparkly, pink and blue Christmas fabric for yet another holiday quilt. In the fabric I had collected, there was a few yards of this 2000 poinsettia Fabric Traditions print and the newly purchased Holiday Flourish Robert Hoffman ornament print. The two will comprise the quilt's backing. 
Linking up with ninamariesayre 


What I am listening to Brooks and Dunn, It Won't Be Christmas Without You. 

1 comment:

  1. Love your scrappy Christmas quilt and that glittery tree with the wreath ornaments. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete