Google tag

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Welcome to My Self-Isolated World

While we are sheltering in place, as all Californians are required to do, online activities continue. I may try to blog more often and am looking into starting a podcast. 

Posting as tamaschen on Instagram for the IGQuiltfest2020, I took the image above as "favorite block." I was stuck on this project because I bordered the blocks and wanted to sew them together but didn't plan on how to construct them. I solved my own problem using that background fabric between the bordered blocks for the flimsy. The blocks that I bordered now measure 10" square. I have at least 20 of those blocks that measure 7-1/2" which will allow me to make 2 quilts from the online lot. I will post progress, once I get back to this one, it will go along quickly. Retro quilt is first up after sandwiching the minimalist plaid quilt. 

This sort of self-isolating for crafters is not a great burden. We tend to lose track of time as we lose ourselves in our projects. I am hoping that others in isolation will do some spring cleaning and donate for me to source once this passes.

Linking up with Cynthia at quiltingismorefunthanhousework for:

Reseller's update:
A grandmother's flower garden partial kit sold. I took a $20 loss on that one. You pay the price on impulse purchases. A holiday hounds cross-stitch just sold but for a profit. 

The thrift shop and consignment store closings have been the worst for me. When all else fails, I can shop thrift. Luckily, I had burned out on putting up listings of things for sale. I have what reseller's term as a "death pile," things we have bought for resale but haven't listed yet, mine include: over 100 CDs, patterns for crafts like aprons and dog beds, and lastly, books which I find to be a slow mover. 

One source interviewed on TV believed the virus could not be transmitted by fabric or cardboard. That sounds reasonable to me, two of the things that I deal with selling online. 

My predictions in our future:
More people will be encouraged to work remotely. My quality of life has actually improved being able to telework. I can start work earlier in the day, because I am home. I only take a 1/2 hour lunch so I can end my day early. When I am downtown, I like to take the full hour so I can walk around the area. I am not commuting 3 hours a day (1-1/2 hours one way). My work day ends at 4 so there is time for gardening, weather permitting. 

As an aside, because I have an older laptop and don't know what type of strain teleworking will be on my laptop's system, I bought a 256GB Jumpdrive to backup my music and photos. 

Gloves will come back in style. I wear cotton gloves for my eczema attacks so I wear those same gloves when I shop now. 

Victory gardens, also known as war gardens, will be popular. I planted strawberries, onions, a blueberry bush, and rhubarb plant. Seed starting will begin in earnest because Ferry-Morse tomato and pepper seeds were on sale. I bought tomato Culinary Blend and sweet pepper Rainbow Blend mix. 

What permanent changes do you foresee?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your basket block, and the border fabric, and the lighter fabric behind. They are beautiful, separately and together, too!
    I was thinking about what post-pandemic life might be like, too. These are interesting time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death pile? I have a death pile in MY house; just didn't know that's what it's called!! Not things I purchased to resell, but things I decided to part with long ago that I wanted to sell and just haven't gotten around to it yet... Not feeling the motivation to take the photos, write the descriptions, research pricing etc., but I have a mountain of high end interior design remnants, a few sewing machines, iPad, etc. that are taking up space in my home when they could be someone else's treasures. Hmmm...

    Was thinking about the "victory garden" thing recently. I remember asking my grandmother what it was like to live through the Great Depression and she told me that although there wasn't money to buy anything new, her family never went hungry because they lived on a farm. Our own suburban home is on a very small piece of land with horrible pure orange clay "soil," making me long for the fertile soil we had at our home in NJ 20 years ago. It was only a block from the Delaware River and it was that black gold kind of dirt that you could just toss seeds at and then sit back to watch them grow. :-).

    Ah, well; this too shall pass. I hope so, anyway!

    Your block is lovely, and I'm curious about this Instagram thing you're doing. I have an Instagram account but haven't done much with it, I'm afraid. How do I find out more about this IGQuiltfest2020?

    ReplyDelete