Google tag

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Patchwork Cupcake Project update

It has been two years since I entered a quilt into the California State Fair Crafts Competition. I did earn an honorable mention for the concept of The Knitting Woman. It did not go on exhibition because I made fold-over errors in the backing while quilting. I rushed to complete in time for entry. The quilt was king sized and it was the first time I quilted with wool batting. My straight-line quilting skewed, pulled by the weight of the quilt sandwich. 

Lessons learned on this go around:

    1.    Much easier to create given a prompt, this one being Almost Edible.

    2.    Get techniques spot on, such as curved piecing, and matched corners. With the Knitting Woman entry, it was the first time I attempted freestyle curved piecing. 

    3.    Keep the project a manageable size. I can quilt the wall-sized ones because it is not so hard on my hands. There is a lot of guiding the fabric through the machine. 

I keep a lot of crafting items on hand. This time, I am more than glad that I kept the pastel seed beads. I gave all of the other thrifted beadwork items to my hair stylist. The lead-off image is the beginning of the beadwork on this project. 

The seed beads act as frosting on the patchwork cupcake. 

On the subject of the State Fair, in years prior I was able to obtain a Media Pass. I am going to apply for one this year. A blogger must show proof of blog coverage and audience. I have emailed to find out how that is done. 

I believe all entries are accepted for judging. I am hoping this entry will place and be exhibited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment