Google tag

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

AI Impacting Quilt Design?

I just received notice of our state fair's upcoming quilt competition. Among the categories, there is a unique one - Crafts Special Contests. The theme is Almost Edible, and described as follows: 

Concept: Food is a conversation starter across the world despite ethnicity, language, religion, or income class. Our common enjoyment of food brings families, cultures, and communities together for celebrations, traditions, and for simple pure enjoyment as Connoisseurs of Cuisine - or affectionately termed “Foodies.” Consider what your favorite food is and share with us your version of its appearance. It should elicit hunger cravings, evoke sentimental memories, and be so realistic that it is “Almost Edible”. However, beware it’s only art that is consumed by the eyes of onlookers for this competition!

The publication Quilt Folk posed the question Could AI Impact Quilt Design? quiltfolk.com As in my blog title, I can answer, "I don't know." At first I thought, "yes," but then the images below were AI generated. 

When I pondered this foodie prompt, the only thing that came to mind was a quilt in the shape of a pizza with pepperoni slices. I wanted to see what AI created with the following prompt:

An abstract quilt depicting food realistic



Not quite what I expected, they look obscene. Is that meant to be a joke? 

I threw in abstract because my last two competition quilts have been fabric interpretations of 1960s abstract paintings. I received honorable mention on each of them. I want this version to be abstract, just because. I am still leaning towards a Quilt Pizza. 

1 comment:

  1. A quilt pizza sounds like fun to me. These images are definitely weird.

    ReplyDelete