Google tag

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Thrift Shop Karma and Charm Bracelets

I love stories about coincidences in thrift shop finds. Maybe it is wishing and hoping for some kind of clue as to the previous owner. 

My recent find was a sterling silver charm bracelet. These types of bracelets were all the rage beginning in the 1960s and continued on into the 1970s. I had lost the bracelet of my youth. I started buying single charms and then bought a bracelet with a few charms. When I called my jeweler to inquire as to the cost of adding charms to a bracelet, he said it was $15 per charm! 

Sometime later, I had located my mother's bracelet. 
In addition, I bought another bracelet from an online auction site. I think I paid around $30 for it. This one reveals it was Berta's, born on 7-26-67. 

This bracelet was priced at $18.50, reasonable. I saw that Lois had engraved her name on the back of one of the charms. When I got to the cash register, I told the cashier, "I am going to wear Lois' charm bracelet." Then said, "Let's see if she put her birthdate on it." It was a common practice for charm bracelet owners to have their name and birthdate on one of the charms. 

I then asked the cashier, "What is the date today?" She replied, "July 14th." I got the chills, engraved under Lois' name was the date "7-14-67." 


My first thought was that a wonderful charm bracelet such as this landed in the thrift shop because its owner had passed on. I told the clerk that it was karma that the bracelet came into my possession on the day of Lois' birthday. I said aloud, "I am wearing your charm bracelet Lois, in celebration of your birthday!" Lois was(or is) a mere 8 years older than me. 


Another thing I do is honor mystery quilters who have donated their fabric. I incorporate recently scored secondhand fabric into my current creations, usually as bindings. That has been the case with the last two quilts. The bindings have come from my box of feedsack fabric.  

Another find with Lois' bracelet with a Bailey Blue dress modeled  by my ever-trusty Sally stand-in. I like the detail of the built-in ruffled slip.
I am making progress toward listing some of my collectibles on Ebay. I figure it is time shake loose some of my valuable items. They will be listed under tam_gonza. One item going up for sale  are these set of 4 Field & Stream Honor Badges.  

7/15/19 Post update - these pins sold within hours of posting. 

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the story of the charm bracelets! One of these days I'm going to have to do a post about my daughter's baby doll. It was such a crazy string of coincidences -- she lost her doll and her Great Grandma found one just like it at the thrift shop a few months later. For years, she really believed that someone had found her doll and donated it and that her grandma had reunited them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Post!Lot of information is helpful in some or the other way.Keep updating silver charm bracelet

    ReplyDelete
  3. This season the bracelet trends are all about long links, gold finish, stacking and coins. Long links give the option of attaching charms to further personalise your bracelet. Charm bracelets for women are on-trend for men this season, with a range of men’s designer leather bracelets available in a variety of colours and finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Riana from USA i want to testify of a powerful spell caster who return my ex boyfriend,it all started when i took his phone and saw a lady message him that she enjoyed the last time and i confronted him about it he was angry and and stop talking to me from that day he started acting strange then he told me he didn't want me anymore that he loves someone else i was so diver-stated i cried all day and night he blocked me from his Instagram and on phone so i couldn't reach him anymore this made me sad and cry even the more i was searching for something online when i saw a comment about Priest Orman great work i contacted him and told him about my problems and i did everything he asked me to do he told me after 24hrs my ex will return back to me well i doubted him though because my ex didn't want to have anything to do with me anymore the next day to my greatest surprise he called me and was begging me to give him another chance now we are both happy together all thanks to Priest ORMAN he can also help you contact below dr.orman980@yahoo.com or orman.spiritualist3002@gmail.com
    https://ormanspritualist.blogspot.com/ WhatsApp: +905398102247

    ReplyDelete