Google tag

Friday, April 14, 2023

The Making of the Dog Bed, Part 2

As promised the final product on the making of the dog bed for Zipper, my German wirehaired pointer. Life got in the way of a quick completion, with a bout with the a bug at Easter, and there is the two jobs ...


It is massive, I do know that it can hold three bed-sized quilts. I didn't have any piping on hand so I used bias tape and a yellow cording. 


I also discovered I cut just enough for the bed cover, not the bed cover lining. Either I am missing part of the instructions, or they are just not clearly written. 

When I first started the dog bed, I saw them priced at $50. Update to this post, here is one priced at $70!

It did require a lot of material. If one had to buy everything to make it, you would be close to the retail cost. 

Here is yet another pattern I have pulled for my tote-making test product. 


I have envisioned in my retirement future making handsewn lined fabric tote bags. I am hoardinggathering the finer upholstery weight materials now. I have a couple of other machine sewn products I am considering offering up for sale. 

Another thing I have realized about sewing patterns - it does not matter if I consider some of them "boring." Like a plain shirt, skirt, or pants pattern, they still sell. 

I am moving into the next phase of my business. I have drafted a business plan and will be opening a business bank account. A Fictitious Business Name statement is in the works, because the bank needs that paperwork to open the account. The business name has to be associated to an individual (not an entity). 

I was finally able to access my Windows Media Player Legacy to rip CDs to my laptop. For some reason for months on end, I was unable to rip CDs. There must have been an uproar when Windows removed or disabled that ability to rip because it magically reappeared.  

Spring cleaning on my sewing patterns meant going back into my personal stash or over 100. I don't need 100 sewing patterns. I turned a critical eye to those I really need to keep and those I can sell. I also considered pulling the vintage cut Butterick patterns, but dontcha know it, they started to sell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment