Google tag

Friday, December 30, 2022

Year in Review of sorts

Quilting will remain my primary means of creative expression. You could call me a "Quilt Fixer." I take other people's projects and complete them. These came to me as 11 completed applique blocks in a plastic bag marked "quilt project," at thrift. There were templates, a concept sketch, 2 uncompleted blocks, and extra fabric. Each one of the jars is padded with fiber fill. After I square up those blocks, my next challenge will be to find companion fabric to finish the borders. 


I did not complete too many quilts. The first part of this year I focused my attention on my competition quilt. While she earned an honorable mention, I so wanted to see her on exhibition. Mistakes I made dropped her out of the running. The Knitting Woman is destined for display in my barn-to-be. I envision paring down the next entry, perfecting my curved piecing, and taking time to matchstick quilt it. I had intended on that quilting pattern for my last entry, but ran out of time. I am now searching for my next inspiration image. 

I have engaged in different types of crafts throughout my life. My mom belonged to a craft of the month club. It would be an entire kit of some type of tchotchke. I so enjoyed completing those craft kits. She was also a seamstress and made detailed Barbie clothes for my doll. 

We also did crewel embroidery, and latch hooked rug kits. I added needlepoint, and counted cross-stitch to my crafting repertoire. Painting ceramics with the kids was a lot of fun. My painting also extended to oil or acrylic on canvas either an abstract or landscape. I found collecting thrifted artwork was much more exciting and a lot less work. 

When I began in public service, there were more of my co-workers having baby showers. I thought a perfect handmade gift would be a quilt. There aren't so many baby showers any more (none), but there are relatives and friends. I gift quilts about half of the time. I will be selling more quilt tops into the new year. 

Reseller update: I have halved my Christmas CDs from around 400 to 200, as I list them for sale. I had so many there was no possible way I could even listen to them all during the month of December. My CD sales have been dropping down 65% from the previous year. Holiday CDs were flying out the door last December/January, not that same experience this year. 

Other items on the eBay listing chopping block are quilt-related publications. I had the grand idea that they would be a good money maker. Not. But my other how-to and recipe books comprised nearly 20% of my sales. 

My biggest year-end surprise was even though I doubled my eBay listings, I was at the same level of sales as the year before. I really cashed in during lockdown, hitting on items that people really didn't need but wanted. 

Moving into stats for my blog. My biggest audience was USA at 71%, followed by the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and Germany. My top referring URL was Pinterest. 

I look forward to the New Year and am wishing my audience a prosperous and peaceful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment