Google tag

Saturday, June 30, 2018

The Stupsi joins her sister and mystery box of fabric

This looks so Voodoo
The Stupsi doll in the center of the image of the unintentional voodo-like display had to be purchased since I found her sister the week before. Her old-fashioned costume and beaded bag make me think she is mambo. I am photographing inside and my thrift shop finds of paper tiki towers, the doll, summer print fabric, a batik kit and More Quick Watercolor Quilts, including a couple of CDs, totaled less than $10. 

Heading into 100+ degree heat this weekend. It is an energy zapper. I feel like I should be downstairs working in my studio creating quilt-related things but it just isn't happening. Think I'll cut fabric for some Bento box blocks. 

As promised, here are the contents of Mystery Box of Fabric I bought online for $30 as a birthday present to myself. 

This was a small quilter's stash from Wichita, Kansas. I bid on it sight unseen, I figured there would be some fabric uglies I couldn't use. 
Laundered and folded
Surprisingly, there were a number of batiks, yardage for both an Americana-themed quilt and a seafaring-themed one (I have been collecting fabric for the latter). Lots of fat quarters and about 1/3 of the box unusable to me. 

In addition to the fabric, there was this piece I can supplement for a backing. I try to incorporate mystery quilter's creations into my current project. It is a nod to them that their work will live on. 
Thank you mystery quilter
One of the CDs I brought home was a classic compilation of


Continuing my birthday gifts to myself. I frequent a certain hospice thrift shop because 1) it is open on Sunday; 2) the prices are reasonable; 3) there is a half off sale at the beginning of each month; and 4) I have acquired numerous pieces of original artwork from this location. It is almost criminal that I spent $4.25 for this one.
Acrylic on fabric, double matted
professionally framed
Al Paque 7-1990
I call it Delicate Summer Flowers. 28 years old this July. I won't let myself hang it up at home because then it will never make it in to work. I want to hang it in my cubicle and replace a framed print that is just too green (said with gritted teeth).

About my buying secondhand fabric, one tip - When you have things shipped to you from across the country, don't bring the cardboard box in the house. We believe we had a nasty assassin bug get into our house that way. Now we open boxes outside and store them flattened outside. Just. In. Case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment