Google tag

Friday, March 9, 2018

The 457 Find and a Fast Finish

Having joined the creative crowd on Instagram for a March #IGQuiltFest, one prompt was "machine" and that ranged from vintage treadles to complex longarms. I was eyeing a mint green vintage sewing machine when my persistent thrift shopping uncovered this 1969 Singer Stylist, Great Britain manufacture for the grand sum of $9.

I was so excited to begin sewing on this machine but when I tried, there was no tension, a spring broken, not surprising for a 49-year old machine. Very clean, I am guessing it had been stored inside, covered for a long, long time. 

She is in the shop for repair. One of the employees at the repair shop said he preferred older sewing machines. He explained that they were constructed with steel rather than plastic. I am beginning to appreciate them more and more. 

After she is fixed, I will be back to some free motion quilting, as I have been straight stitching along for a few months now.



The Quilt Fest also prompted me to a "Fast Finish" and qualifies for finish it up Friday with Amanda Jean at crazymomquilts.  The panel remnant was part of some secondhand fabric scored thrifting. I used a William & Morris museum-inspired print for the backing. The two seemed cut from the same color palette. 

I was pleasantly surprised when this piece fit the space perfectly, I hadn't measured it. I enjoy using fabric to brighten up my work space. I call these cubicle wall covers because the quilting is so minimal, the panels preprinted. 

Upcoming Events:
Quilt Qwazy Queens blog hop begins March 15th.
Blogging from A to Z Challenge begins April 1st.
Art with Fabric Blog Hop begins May 1st.


How do you display your mini quilts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment