Repairing vintage patchwork

This poor piece of patchwork could or should have been thrown out.  In fact, I found it laying at the end of the parking lot at the hospice thrift shop.  The photo prompt for #CY365 is "reflect."  I believe this image fits that prompt reflecting on what we discard. 



Tore up with seams coming undone.  Quilter extraordinaire to the rescue!  

First, I laundered the item with the torn binding still attached.  I didn't want the patchwork strips to fray any worse than they had. I then removed the binding, backing and batting. I cut out the appliques to cover where seams had come undone.



I cut the sashes and borders and sewed them on *whirr*



Each applique piece covers where the original patchwork had frayed.  It was not a masterpiece to begin with but I have grown to love it.

Post update - I finished this small project at the end of November.  

In the meantime, quilter eye candy -


Mariner's Compass


Moving write along with the 31 days challenge.  
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let's talk uglies

Merrily we quilt along

Spooky Steampunk lap quilt