Google tag

Monday, May 7, 2018

In Like Flynn

For years I have wanted to exhibit one of my creations at the California State Fair. In the early 2000s, I honed my craft as a painter of oil or acrylic landscapes or abstracts on canvas. Came to find out the painterly world likes its participants to hold MFA (Master of Fine Art) degrees and the like. Not gonna happen for me. 

As artists sometimes do with the medium they are working in, I moved from painting to quilting. As with painting, quilting is a deceptively complex craft. 

Recently, I have been participating in the Art with Fabric blog hop hosted by http://tweloquilting.blogspot.com/ and while making this hop's entry, I thought, "Why not enter this in the fair?" I made the entry deadline by one day. 

This is so exciting for me, it was that easy to exhibit in the fair? I have struggled for years entering in the fine art category and being rejected. I haven't entered the fair competitions in over 5 years. 

This category is Fiber Crafts, Division 165 - Any Other Fiber Art (includes wall hangings). I didn't enter in the quilting category because then the "quilting" of the creation would be what is judged. We will see how my abstract in fabric will do in competition.
________________

On to AtoZ Blog Challenge news - reflections. After taking a year hiatus from this challenge after participating for four years, it may be time for me to pull the plug.  

From the Challenge's peak of 2,000+ participants in 2016, it went to around 300 in 2017. In years past, there was a master linky list where you could see all of the participants in one place. This year the group opted for a daily Google sheet linkup. Sometimes the linkup was there, sometimes it wasn't. Then you had to link up within 48 hours (not always possible). 

While I don't do the challenge for page views, mine actually went down. I think my now quilting audience had no interest in AtoZ posts. 

AtoZ has jumped the shark. 
A term to describe a moment when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity. Origin of this phrase comes from a Happy Days episode where the Fonz jumped the shark on waterskis. This was labeled the lowest point of the show. 
via Urban Dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment