Google tag

Thursday, February 15, 2018

I went to Ladybird's Thrift Town

The Del Paso Heights Thrift Town is a favorite of mine. One of the best of that chain in the Sacramento area. It is in a sketchy part of town but then most of these thrift stores are. They do have the nicest staff, I'm one of their regulars.  

I took my son to see the Ladybird, the 2018 Golden Globe winner for Best Motion Picture. While I love Sacramento, my family not so much. They tend to stick around the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. He didn't understand the movie, course it is more of a chick flick. I laughed, I cried, it was great.

Because I have lived and worked in Sacramento for some 20+ (coughs while saying it) years, I was the only one in the theater that loudly guffawed at some of the lines.

Here was one such exchange:

Christine McPherson: I hate California. I want to go to the East Coast. I want to go where culture is like New York.
Marion McPherson: How in the world did I raise such a snob?
Christine McPherson: Or at least Connecticut or New Hampshire where writers live in the woods
Marion McPherson: You wouldn’t get into those schools anyway.
Christine McPherson: Mom!
Marion McPherson: You should just go to City College. You know, with your work ethic just go to City College and then to jail and then back to City College and then maybe you’d learn to pull yourself up and not expect everybody to do everything.



There were many others, but the one above in particular was a gas since I am a Sacramento City College graduate (with honors!) and haven't landed in jail yet ...
The director Greta Gerwig nailed it for words and phrases typical to some East Sacramento residents. 
Sacramento used to be known as the City of Trees but someone in their infinite wisdom renamed it America's Farm-to-Fork Capital. I guess food being more interesting than foliage.


On to thrifting news -

On this TT visit, I scored three sweaters, two of them cashmere *sings the word* and some yardage for $15.  But not just any yardage, this particular fabric fits in perfectly for borders and sashing on my current WIP, a red and cream sampler for the Quilt Qwazy Queen's blog hop next month. 

If you happen to pop in to Thrift Town on El Camino Avenue, then grab some chow at Beto's Taqueria right next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment