Google tag

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Surprise gift for a supervisor - quilted kennel cover

Having finally landed a public sector paralegal job, I wanted to give a surprise gift to my supervisor who had agreed to act as a reference. She had also given me the print material in the right and left corners of the image below. She had asked me if I could use the material and I said, "yes" all the while planning to do something special for her.

My "sup" is also involved in feral cat rescue so I made her a quilted kennel cover. The cat-related fabric was the basis for a quasi strip-quilt top. She uses blankets over cat carriers as temporary homes for captured feral cats. Once the animal is either spayed/neutered, treated for any ailments, they are released back into the area from which they were captured. Some are recruited as barn cats in rural areas.

It seems to meet with my cat's approval.
Quilt sandwich layout. I cut it close on that batting but supplemented it later.

Rather than put a separate binding on this, I kept 3" leftover from backing, brought it around the front and sewed in down with a 1/4" seam allowance. My first mitered corners too!

I had so much fun putting together that kennel cover, I zipped together another one for quilting. I have decided my patchwork style of piecing is a little ADHD. I kind of "wing it" sewing fabric together and then trimming off excess and squaring it up. I treat it more like I would paint on a canvas, rather than adhering to rigid rules and procedures.
Mystery box of fabric from New York provided material to supplement a baby quilt, son's and patriotic quilts. The kitty print panels and calico prints courtesy of East Coast mystery quilter.

Hospice thrift shopping resulted in $8 worth of 5 Christmas CDs for my annual Countdown to Christmas, a Style & Co. grey long sleeved pin striped shirt, t-shirt and material.
On Instagram as tamaschen, I am participating in this month's  #IGQuiltFest with 31 quilt-related prompts. One prompt being "pillow finish" so it was motivation enough to complete this pink and lavender based log cabin square block with thrifted pillow form.

I certainly had a very productive weekend with a fast finish of one kennel cover, prep for another, and a pillow done!

Linking up with Lorna at sewfreshquilts for:

Sew Fresh Quilts
 
Kelly at myquiltinfatuation for:
 
 
And Amanda at crazymomquilts for Finish it Up Friday.



No comments:

Post a Comment