Google tag

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Marking lines and making a mini

With the weekend devoted to a burst of creative activity, I made another mini quilt for the month for a cat lover co-worker. The thrift gods had dropped this Laurel Burch fabric in a remnant bag found at SPCA Thrift. It seemed perfect for her. I like how it has a stained glass or windowpane effect. I also can't get enough of the midnight blue batik fabric I've used as the border and binding that came in a thrifted quilt kit. 
Backed in a large scale dragonfly print
It was the first time I had quilted with two different colors, being purple on the front and pink on the back. I then hand bound it in dark blue thread. Oh, the travesty of it all! *grins*

Turning my attention back to my Composition quilt, I had the first set of lines quilted but needed to mark the next round. I was able to use the long work bench as the weather cooperated (not being too cold in the garage). I put my music on shuffle while line marking. 

I was glad to be able to turn my attention to this project. It is a remnant from 2018 and I like to bring my projects to finish, if I can. I learned my lesson that to produce better quality work, I should mark lines. I am devoting time for prep on this one as I hope to enter it in competition. 

Quilters don't talk about the physicality of this craft. After sliding that "monster" of a bed quilt on the bench and standing for an extended length of time penciling in lines, I was tired. The little projects like my mini shown above, of course, aren't taxing. 

Quilting bed-sized quilts on my domestic machine is akin to wrestling with an octopus. I do have a high speed quilting machine but where the physical activity comes in is ensuring the quilt is smoothed and guided through the machine. I also use an ironing board, turned with the endside nearest my machine, to hold the bulk of the quilt. 

Do you find working with large projects to be tiring? 

Linking up with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework.
Quilting is more fun than Housework

No comments:

Post a Comment