Monday, January 2, 2017

Moving it Forward Monday

I had the luxury of being on vacation for the past week and was able to discover new blogs and bloggers, catch up on an unfinished project and dream of new ones. In my internet travels, I found emsscrapbag for Moving it Forward Monday as a quilter's blog linkup.  

I began the new year off and running by assembling a quilt top using thrifted fabric of vintage fabric precuts, batik precuts and a smidgeon of Hawaiian shirt hoarder fabric.

I was finally able to buy a few things on my Amazon wish list and one of those was the book Mixing Quilt Elements: A Modern Look at Color, Style & Design by Kathy Doughty, so I have to admit her book provided some inspiration for the flimsy pictured above.

Vintage fabric quilt needs borders to make it bed-sized so here are the fabrics I am auditioning. I hit the wall on utilizing any more of my stash to complete this quilt. All of the border fabrics were purchased retail. I can't help but get sticker shock when I buy retail fabric - that small stack set me back $50.


I chose to piece a quilt top rather than set up my sewing room. I will be quilting this piece on the new machine though.

It has been cold for us in these Northern California climes so we were sorely in need of more blankets. I ended up buying a queen sized whole cloth cotton blanket with cotton batting at a major retailer for $80. I calculated buying the fabric and the time it would take for me to quilt it and it was worth the cost. But no more buying retail blankets after that when I can make them myself!

Pattern of the Day is a 1967 McCall's, a misses robe to keep you comfy warm.

Post updated to also linkup with Kelly at myquiltinfatuation
for:
Post a Comment

Son's quilt finished

Two months behind schedule - son's quilt is finished, it is king-sized plus! I first began the project here . While I did the piecing ...