I appliqued flowers from remnants of Hawaiian shirt material. She is partial to black accented fabric. The squares I chose are in the bottom right corner.
I have processed the front panels of the shirts and still have all of the back panel material (shown upper left).
I used a decorative stitch but it kept skewing like it was on psychedelics. Once I was committed to the stitch though there was no turning back. I wasn't going to rip out heaving stitching from a quilt sandwich.
Luckily, a trip to see the mom resulted in her being able to pick one of the fabrics for the sashing and borders. One piece of material from a $3 thrift shop package of scraps fit right into the quilt scheme.
Links to my quilt project series:
Thrift shopping produced more quilt publications.
The 1963 Woman's Day Book of American Needlework also had this section - How to Do Hawaiian Applique.
Now that I have started quilting, friends and relatives are requesting my creations. The first quilt for the expectant co-worker was a big hit at the baby shower with a unicorn Ty beanie baby tied atop it with a pink ribbon.
I celebrated a birthday last month but didn't get the chance to enjoy a homemade pie or cake. Now that blackberries are busting out all over, I was able to make one of my favorite pies.
For at least one of the quilts in the series, I want to tackle the bear paw design. Here is the basic pattern.
Image via www.classicmetalcompany
I am finishing up the last week of my Oceanography class, finally able to enjoy a few weeks of true summer.