Google tag

Saturday, July 11, 2015

The Mom Quilt and fresh blackberry pie

Continuing with the Hawaiian shirt quilt 4th in the series, the next project is The Mom Quilt.  





















Finished quilt top


I appliqued flowers from remnants of Hawaiian shirt material. She is partial to black accented fabric. The squares I chose are in the bottom right corner.  


I have processed the front panels of the shirts and still have all of the back panel material (shown upper left). 


I used a decorative stitch but it kept skewing like it was on psychedelics.  Once I was committed to the stitch though there was no turning back.  I wasn't going to rip out heaving stitching from a quilt sandwich.  

Luckily, a trip to see the mom resulted in her being able to pick one of the fabrics for the sashing and borders.   One piece of material from a $3 thrift shop package of scraps fit right into the quilt scheme. 



Links to my quilt project series:
UpcSycling-and-hawaiian-shirt-hoarder
The-first-of-hawaiian-shirt-quilt-series
Summer-jumble-patchwork-quilt

Thrift shopping produced more quilt publications.



The 1963 Woman's Day Book of American Needlework also had this section - How to Do Hawaiian Applique.

Now that I have started quilting, friends and relatives are requesting my creations.  The first quilt for the expectant co-worker was a big hit at the baby shower with a unicorn Ty beanie baby tied atop it with a pink ribbon. 

I celebrated a birthday last month but didn't get the chance to enjoy a homemade pie or cake. Now that blackberries are busting out all over, I was able to make one of my favorite pies.



For at least one of the quilts in the series, I want to tackle the bear paw design.  Here is the basic pattern.



I am finishing up the last week of my Oceanography class, finally able to enjoy a few weeks of true summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment