Google tag

Monday, July 24, 2023

Repairing the Raggedy Ann

This vintage Raggedy Ann was fifty cents at hospice thrift. 


I adopted her with a missing foot, smudges on her face, wearing rumpled clothing. Her face was pretreated with a spot remover. I pinned the feet to keep in the stuffing, and put her in a lingerie bag for a Woolite wash. 

Her left foot was removed to make the template for her feet. Nylons had been used as a stuffing. I didn't have any heavier weight black material in my stash so it required a trip to the fabric store.  


I purchased an eighth of a yard of a discounted sweater material to construct her feet. Here is one of them. 


Her pinafore elastic gave out in the wash. I folded that over and sewed on a flower applique. Here she is still under repair sans feet. 

Here is she is prepped, primped, in the Hollywood shot, and eBay linked. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186010205669

Who could resist that face? 

These were the last two of the dolls I had in my stash to be listed. They also required minor repair. I washed the bunny and her glued-on skirt and part of her neck collar came off. I whip stitched them back on. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186005303776

This pretty gal has wig hair - a first I had seen on a doll. I smoothed down and re-braided her hair. She was originally holding a stick with something on the end. A pin had rusted her hand shut over the stick. I repaired her hand where the fabric had torn when I removed the stick. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186005323722
Doll holding stick, and thrift
shop price tag

My foray into listing cloth dolls has pretty much been successful. Surprising the prices some of these dolls fetch. 

Sequeing to CDs, if I can find them cheap enough, I buy them first for myself, and second to list for sale. Hospice thrift sells CDs for $1.29 each. I found 9 still new in package. My first pandemic year of listing I did a brisk business in gospel and Christmas CDs. 

Seller update: These game pieces from a 1951 game were thrift shop priced at $1. The volunteer said she was going to throw them away. I am a regular there so I told her I would list them and let her know what they sold for. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/186005512356

Heading to the county fair tonight so I hope to capture some fun images! 🍧🍬🎡

No comments:

Post a Comment