Google tag

Thursday, September 25, 2014

So what if I wear granny panties?

This past week I have been home sick with the flu. Home during the day means watching TV, lots of daytime TV. One interview I watched was with the group in a new Lifetime show called "Girlfriend Intervention" where four African Americans do "makeovers." Of note, Tanisha Thomas "soul coach" in the opening episode proclaims: "Trapped inside of every white girl is a strong black woman waiting to bust out." That sort of troubles me. What else is waiting to break out? It opens a whole new realm of possibilities.  


But I digress, the group of four were discussing granny panties.Yes, those villified, oh so comfortable, I've earned the right to wear them panties.  

Let's discuss that platinum-haired people will be the new reality in the future. Persons 65 and older numbered 39.6 million in 2009. By 2030, there will be 72.1 million older persons, more than twice the number from the year 2000.  
http://www.aoa.gov/Aging_Statistics/

Are platinum-haired people represented in the news media, such as newscasters, forecasters and talk show hosts? Older men, yes, older women, no. You get the gist.  

Are there platinum-haired women represented in the fashion circulars? No. No one older than 40, at the most. Do retailers misunderstand the buying power of the platinum-haired?  Well, we don't all buy thrift. Even though we are wearing those you-know-whats underneath doesn't mean we want to wear shrinking violet clothing. We WANT to be seen.  

I understand invisibility. Granted the beauty of youth is pretty much kaput. I would be thrilled to see a platinum-haired peer highly visible in print, online, on demand, in front of the camera!

That is my riff for today. I will stand for the visibility of platinum-haired people everywhere ... and the right to wear granny panties!  


No comments:

Post a Comment