Google tag

Friday, April 12, 2013

K is for Kitsch - A to Z Writing Challenge topic and a Style Sessions linkup


Kitsch - there is plenty of that in abundance in the thrift shops.  I like the Wiki definition:  "Art, objects, or design considered to be in poor taste because of excessive garishness or sentimentality, but appreciated in an ironic way."  Kitsch can be cute.  This platter is a good example of kitsch and a nod to my hometown. 






Every December I post a Countdown to Kitschmas - a celebration of tacky, wacky and weird Yuletide items.  Don't scoff at those retro elves - I have seen one of them bid up to $60+ on shopgoodwill.com.   



Here is the Ebay version of kitsch ~



And the Etsy version of kitsch (I actually have this recipe box - but not in that good of condition)





Finally, the kissing cousins version of kitsch - these magnetic salt and pepper shakers were all the rage a few years ago.  




It wouldn't be Friday without Friday's Frock!  I learned a new term "alternative modeling," which is a branch of the modeling industry that features models who do not conform to the mainstream ideals of beauty (Wiki definition).  It is usually niche models that sport tattoos, piercings or unusual hairstyles.  My niche?  Let's call it the ALTERNATIVE GRAYS ... or something like that.  

Here is my best shot for an alt model pose - working with two props here so cut me some slack ~



Talbot black collared shirt (thrift shop find this past week)
AB Studio black and white skirt (thrifted)
Brighton purse (retail)
Aerosoles black pumps (retail)

Was going for bada** not sure if I succeeded.  *giggles*  Found a new fashion postings hop, and since the badge matches my outfit ... it is a total linkup!


STYLELIXIR Style Sessions

A to Z Challenge [2013]


Please vote for me as Best Local Sacramento Blogger.  Vote button is at the top of this post.  Thanks!


6 comments:

  1. Kitch can be very cool! (In very small quantities that is...)
    A month of Blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those things bring back the best memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never decided whether I like it or not, but I seem to have a fair collection around here! :) Happy K Day!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitsch! Of course, that's brilliant - AND - I LOVE YOUR Look.
    You are an amazing and most excellent model.

    Thank you Very Much.
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! That's the type of stuff I absolutely love to look at, but hate to own. Those photos are wonderful! :)

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete