Google tag

Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for Every Thrifter's Dream - A to Z Writing Challenge topic


Every thrifter’s dream is finding the million dollar artwork, sculpture, piece of furniture, gizmo, toy, you-name-it.  One such find recently hit the news - a $3 thrift shop find "Ding" bowl sold at auction for $2.23 million.

The Antiques Roadshow on the Public Television Network, routinely showcases thrift shop gems.  At the beginning of this year, that show highlighted a Diego Rivera painting that appraised at $1 million dollars.  


Even more amazing is a man who walking by a dumpster spied three discarded violins and brought them to be appraised at the Antiques Roadshow in Corpus Christi.  Two of the violins were worthless but a third was made in the 1920s by the famed Italian violin maker Giuseppi Pedrazinni and appraised at $35,000-$50,000.

I am going to throw in another "E" on this post.  My thrift shop find of a couple days ago at Ecothrift, a Western hat band ($1.50).  There were about 30 to choose from.  A ladies cowboy hat is on my thrift "want" list.


And for the Public Service Announcement for Sacramento residents - EcoMall, 7224 55th Street, Sacramento, is now open, 40,000 sq. ft. of thrift, thrift and more thrift.  This will not be a quick stop and shop ... I may have to pack a lunch.

A to Z Challenge [2013]

Please vote for me as Best Local Sacramento Blogger.  Vote button is at the top of this post.  Thanks!


12 comments:

  1. Roadshow!! Gotta Love it - people bring hopes, dreams, treasures, stories and - every once in a while we get to hold our breath while we watch to see if the person is going to pass out right on camera when they hear their family trinket is worth a bazillion -
    Happy "E" Day!
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  2. By all means pack a lunch for a shop that large! My greatest find was an anniversary clock at a garage sale. It is an antique and had a price on it of $1.00. I asked if it was really a dollar and the guy said, "Yeah, but you can have it for fifty cents if you want." I wanted, and took it home and cleaned it up. I never had it appraised, but we collect antique clocks (a very small collection but still...) and were thrilled to put it on our mantle. I know it is worth much more, but since I wouldn't part with it, I don't need to know how much.

    Happy E day!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time to study some antiques stuff so you don't miss one of those little gems, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those epic finds on Roadshow. I watched a man discover the rug he had was Navajo and worth 500,000 dollaroos. I was so excited for him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right....every thrifters dream!!! That's what keeps us Thrift/Juntique Shoppers going back...that and bargins you find no place else. Love the Roadshow and the stories of others great finds!
    Sue~CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to be on the Antiques Roadshow but I'm tend not to keep older things. I think I might have to change that.

    Thanks for stopping by my A post (aliciaafter30.blogspot.com) and thrift on!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend of mine has a historic houseful of antiques. She was on the show last year and had a clock collection appraised. None were extravagant, but it was still fun to see.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep you have a wonderful topic. I am excited to see a lot more then just writer blogs this year.

    Thanks for being part of the wonderful A-Z 2013 landscape.

    Blessings,
    Margot at A Devotional Mosaic and Spark My Creativity

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to love Antiques Roadshow! Great to hear some of those amazing one-in-a-million finds, but just hearing the stories behind some of the items.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those people were crazy lucky. I wish you luck in finding Every Thrifter's Dream as well! :)

    The A to Z blog said in the latest post to add a link to your own A to Z blog in the comments, so here's mine: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always loved finding book treasures at thrift stores...even if they weren't for sale or profitable some of them just make me happy because they are beautiful and/or unique.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it is aging that makes some of us "de nest" I am not all that old and I want to be simpler each day. there is just too much "stuff" around us each day. I think that may be why we love the outdoors... or a long view... or sitting on the beach looking at the ocean.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete