Google tag

Friday, February 8, 2013

French - Day 8 topic of the 30M2D Writing Challenge

French - the 30M2D challenge topic and link to those who claim to be French, those who wanna-be Francophiles.  

French Barbie doll

Madame Alexander French doll

My three memories of a 1977 visit to France are: eating only baquettes, cheese, apples and wine purchased from a local market; falling asleep at the Palace of Versailles on a garden bench and being approached by the Palace guards shouting at me in French; and refusing to go on the Eiffel Tower tour because it required walking up an ungodly amount of steps.

I took French in junior high school - three years of it.  I remember snippets of words and phrases.  The image that is burned forever into my mind is that of my French teacher clenching her fists and hollering, "Fermer la porte!"  (Close the door!)

Lastly, the French twist (courtesy of my hair stylist).


Shout out to my mom - today is her 84th birthday!

15 comments:

  1. I took 3 years of French, too. One of my teacher's favorite phrases was "Fermer la bouches" (close your mouths).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The French twist? Is that where Chubby Checker sings, "Laisez-nous twist encore comme nous avons fait le dernier ete? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My french teacher used to say "ooh la la , quel homme" whenever the UPS driver went by our classroom. I can still picture her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, the trip you had sounds perfect. Eating only those items and getting yelled at. Awesome. And joyeux anniversaire to your mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that was just France - it was a month-long European tour that included Italy, Austria, Switzerland and England.

      Delete
  5. I adore Paris and can never get enough of the bread, the cheese, the wine, the pastries, the sights, the people, the music, the style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to go back ... now that I am much, much older and wiser.

      Delete
  6. Is it just me, or are those dolls just a tiny bit scary? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh Tami! Loving the hair! =) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fermez la porte en avant! (Shut the front door!) Vos cheveux sont tellement mignon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of a French twist. Always have, always will.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely French twist! I've never had one. I had to laugh at Fermez la porte!

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an AWESOME french twist. I can never get mine to look that neat. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday to your mother! Your trip to France sounds so much more romantic than my own.

    Here's a question for you. At any point during your trip, did a guy with an accordion follow you around and play romantic music? I'm disappointed that this never happened to me once. Expectations created by bad television can leave you with massive heartache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No accordian-playing stalker - but the gondola guy in Italy did sing ~

      Delete