The uglies I am referring to are the fabrics that are, well, just plain ugly. I recently organized my fabric remnants by color and got rid of my uglies - sent to the Great Thrift Shop Beyond.
I am certain other quilters/fabric artists do this. I mean you can only hide so much of the uglies scrapping them out. Here is a perfect example of what I consider to be uglies offered through shopgoodwill.com. That poppy fabric I think is the best of the bunch, but the rest - uglies.
If you have any blog hops or challenges planned, please leave a comment with the info or email me at tvonzalez at gmail.com.
Ending the post with baby doll mugshots, tore up 1 and tore up 2. Both inmates at shopgoodwill.com. (Yes, I spend way too much time on that website.)
Challenge prompt: "A marathon is 26.2 miles. Marathoners don't start out running 26 miles, they start small and train for it. Tell us about something you worked for, something you thought you might never accomplish but did."
While I have never run a marathon and don't foresee that type of activity in my near future, I have completed 10 quilts ranging from crib to bed sized in the past year. My latest finish, I believe my best work so far, the Hello Kitty backed girl quilt.
I just used a straight stitch with the walking foot. The only free motion quilting used was to sign in stitch "Made by Tami 2016." If I had more time to work on this quilt, I would have added stitches to the sashing or used a higher quality material (live and learn). It took me awhile to see this mistake - I am missing a sashing at the bottom of the quilt, doh! (The Homer Simpson sound of frustration)
I have been preparing for this hop for months - once the Eerie Nights hostess announced the theme, the criteria being to make something new and show your go-to Halloween décor hosted by Amy at sewincrediblycrazy.blogspot.com. For my spooky steampunk lap quilt, I first bought some retail fabric since I had absolutely none in my stash. I also asked a quilting co-worker if she had any remnants from a Halloween quilt kit (and she did, some purple background Mr. Chillingsworth). I also found a quilt-along with some free patterns at flyingparrotquilts.com, link to her Epic Halloween quilt. One of the patterns I snagged was the variable potion bottles, my first attempt at paper piecing. Potion bottle attempt number 1 is the one between the skeletons, with corrected the lotion bottle top in the final. Attempts 2 through 4 are in order, my technique improved by potion bottle number 4 in the lower right corner.
While the freezer paper seemed a good idea in theory, my little scraps kept slipping a…